Amazon.com stepped up it’s selling to the Funeral Industry after October 2009 when it was revealed that WallMart was selling Caskets on line. The Fact that Amazon has a contract with an online casket provider for 67% off the list price of many caskets, points to the fact that the markup on caskets can be 300% or more. Not all funeral homes do this, there are lower cost funeral homes and online casket providers where the markup is much less.
This supports what I have been saying for several years that many times the markup of caskets in the funeral home can be up to 500%!
What is interesting about amazon.com and other online vendors is that they sell directly to the consumer. This is a trend that will continue and more and more Funeral vendors will be doing this!
In Fact Last Year the National Funeral Directors Association lobbied on behalf of the Bereaved Consumers Bill of Rights Act asking that online vendors like amazon.com be brought in under the Funeral Rule Regulations.
With the election of Republicans to the US House of representatives the passage of the Bereaved Consumers Bill Of Rights Act is unlikely to happen and caskets and other consumer funeral products being sold directly to the consumer for the short term will avoid funeral regulations.
What is mentioned above is contributing to Funeral Industry Decline in the USA. The more that funeral goods are available online especially at popular sites like amazon.com the less the local funeral home will be needed and the more the funeral industry will decline.
> Interesting Fact: Amazon sells a steel embalming table
> # of Employees: 21,700
> Most Recent Quarter Revenue: $7.6 billion
> Most Recent Net Income: $231 million
Amazon.com helped bring the funeral service online. Like Wal-Mart, the company offers caskets in more than 50 different varieties. Additionally, it sells a steel embalming table for $1,095 and pet urns for under $200. Many caskets are sold at 67% off the list price, thanks to a partnership with Bestpricecaskets.com.
Funeral Industry| Funeral News| Funeral Blog by Your Funeral Guy
your funeral guy has no affiliation with best priced Caskets.com http://www.bestpricecaskets.com/
Your Funeral Guy’s book Rest In Peace Insiders Tips to the low cost less Stressed Funeral is available online at amazon.com Presently Your Funeral Guy is not involved with the selling of any Funeral Goods or products.
Trappist monks supplied a Casket for the Arizona Shooting victim Christina- Taylor Green. This is outside the realm of the traditional Casket Providers like Batesville or York Caskets. The Funeral was a private affair and the company Providing the Casket was Trappist Caskets-The Funeral was private and the media was not involved.
The casket for 9-year-old Christina-Taylor Green, the youngest of six victims gunned down in the attack on Rep. Gabrielle Giffords, will be buried in a coffin built by Trappist Caskets of Peosta, Ia., near Dubuque. The Roman Catholic monks of the New Melleray Abbey in northeast Iowa have become renowned for their handmade caskets over the last decade and routinely donate children’s caskets.
Sam Mulgrew, general manager of Trappist Caskets, said that the monks initially were contacted Tuesday by a family representative who was a previous customer.
“He prefers to remain anonymous,” Mulgrew said this afternoon.
Final arrangements were made with the funeral director in Tucson. Trappist Caskets received the first call Tuesday morning, and by the end of the day the casket – engraved with Green’s name as well as her dates of birth (Sept. 11, 2001) and death – was shipped via Fed Ex from the abbey to Tucson. (Caskets of various sizes and in different stages of completion are kept on hand.) Green’s funeral will be held Thursday.
The monks also shipped special keepsake crosses for the late girl’s family, engraved with Green’s name.
Funeral Industry| Funeral News | funeral Blog by Your Funeral Guy
Hillenbrand Inc and the CEO Kenneth Camp, have acknowledged funeral industry and Casket sales decline. The company executive has decided to live with the reality that is there. People are paying less funeral cost and many are continuing to live with the reality of the funeral industry decline.
Hillenbrand Inc. CEO Kenneth Camp might have been content for his company to stick to the casket business, given its predictability.
But with the public’s preference for cremation gaining on casket burials, he knew the company needed a new way to grow. Now, nine months after Hillenbrand closed on the $435 million purchase of Pitman, N.J.-based K-Tron International Inc., which makes manufacturing equipment, Camp is more convinced than ever that diversification was the right move.
“Batesville Casket will always be the bedrock, but we think it’s the right time for us to use some of our existing tools in an industry that can be another leg on the stool,” Camp said in an interview this week.
Batesville Casket will continue to diversify in the years ahead. As the funeral industry declines, more alliances between companies like Batesville and other vendors will continue.
Funeral Industry|FuneralNews| Funeral Blog by Your Funeral Guy
Here are the top ten Batesville Casket Company Articles of 2010- Batesville Casket Company is the largest supplier of Caskets in the United States.
- Inside Batesville Casket Company it is very competitive, Casket sales are down so much so that it is at least in the manufacturing plants-it’s dog eat dog https://yourfuneralguy.wordpress.com/2010/11/09/inside-batesville-casket-company-its-dog-eat-dog-your-funeral-guy/
- Cremation is taking the Batesville Casket Company Down As more and More People demand cremation there is less need.for caskets. https://yourfuneralguy.wordpress.com/2010/02/05/batesville-casket-cremation-will-take-down-the-funeral-yourfuneralguy/
- ConnectingDirectors.com has been chasing Batesvile Caskets since 2009. The Purchase of Goria Vaults, non funeral companies peaks the young webmaster’s interest at this site. https://yourfuneralguy.wordpress.com/2010/10/08/connectingdirectors-com-continues-to-chase-batesville-caskets/
- The Wall Street Journal has done an article on Hillenbrand Inc, HI and funeral cost. WSJ often takes down their links.https://yourfuneralguy.wordpress.com/2010/08/06/wsj-article-on-hi-and-funeral-cost-decline-your-funeral-guy/
- Can the casket company be raised from the dead?http://www.yourfuneralguy.com/2010/11/can-casket-industry-rise-from-the-dead-your-funeral-guy/
- The Funeral industry Decline has sponsored many alliances. In 2010 Batesville Casket Partnered with FTD Floristshttps://yourfuneralguy.wordpress.com/2010/11/03/batesville-casket-company-partners-wftd-yourfuneralguy/
- In 2010 a Lawsuit against Batesville casket was dismissed.https://yourfuneralguy.wordpress.com/2010/09/28/lawsuit-against-batesville-casket-company-dismissed-your-funeral-guy/
- Batesville Casket Company won a Mexican Knock off Casket Patent case.https://yourfuneralguy.wordpress.com/2010/12/20/batesville-wins-in-casket-patent-case-yourfuneral-guy/
- Early in 2010 Hillenbrand, Inc Had a Moody Credit downgrade.https://yourfuneralguy.wordpress.com/2010/01/11/nyse-hi-hillenbrandbatesville-casket-moodys-credit-downgrade-watch-yourfuneralguy/
- The Big story here is not a lawsuit. The Story is that the big three Casket Company may begin to sell directly to the consumers!https://yourfuneralguy.wordpress.com/2010/08/03/big-three-casket-companies-being-sued-your-funeral-guy/
There are more Batesville Casket Company Blog posts at your funeral guy blogs. Some are more controversial than those mentioned above.
Funeral Industry|funeral news| Funeral blog by Your Funeral Guy
A woman was found to be alive after hours in a Funeral home in a casket in Brazil. How can people miss the fact that someone is alive? The line between life and death is not a clear one.
A funeral home in Brazil was shocked to find an awakening surprised when prepping a woman for her burial.
Maria das Dores was declared dead on Christmas Eve, three days later she opened her eyes, hours before her funeral.
According to reports the police are investigating how the 88-year-old woman, whom hospital authorities had declared dead of hypertension and clogging of her arteries, was almost buried alive.
Funeral industry|Funeral news| Funeral Blog by Your Funeral Guy.
Batesville has won in an intellectual property patent case involving knockoff caskets coming in from Mexico.
Hillenbrand Inc., the largest U.S. maker of coffins, won an order to ban imports of knockoff caskets from Mexico.
The U.S. International Trade Commission in Washington said Dec. 13 that Ataudes Aguilares will be barred from bringing in caskets with attached memorabilia compartments and mechanisms for letting funeral-home directors swap out ornamental corner pieces. The Guadalajara, Mexico-based company failed to respond to patent-infringement claims from Hillenbrand’s Batesville unit, the ITC said in a notice on its website.
Batesville filed the complaint in June, seeking to protect sales of its coffins with memorabilia compartments
Batesville Casket Company is the Largest Casket Company in the USA
Funeral industry| Funeral Blog By Your Funeral Guy